Arches National Park Family Guide
Top Five Family Day Hikes in Arches National Park
Arches National Park is amazingly well suited for hikers who wants to experience incredible scenery on relatively short hikes. This makes Arches a great place for families with small children to get out and explore the trails. The world famous geologic wonders that are so easily accessible make Arches National Park a real day hiker’s treasure.
Remember that Arches National Park is a desert environment, and during the summer especially the midday heat can be almost too much to bear. Bring plenty of water—at least one quart per person, and even more for longer hikes.
So where do you start when choosing a hike? To help you, we’ve compiled what we think are the Top Five Can’t-Miss Family Day Hikes in Arches National Park. Stop in at the visitor center to discuss your hike plans with a ranger and get some tips. Then put on your sunscreen, pack some extra water and snacks, and get ready to hit the trails!
1. Park Avenue: 2 miles (or 1 mile with a car shuttle). A must-do scenic stroll in the shadow of nature’s skyscrapers, named for the famous street in New York City.
2. Windows Primitive Loop: 1 mile. Three fantastic arches along a short, scenic loop trail.
3. Double Arch: 0.8 mile. A short walk to and under a spectacular arch.
4. Broken Arch: 2 miles. A short loop trail right through a big arch.
5. Landscape Arch: 1.6 miles. A must-do hike to the longest arch in Arches National Park, plus a short side trip to two more large arches.